Congratulations to the Fuel Up to Play 60 winners! The winning schools will begin their school year celebrating, with help from the Fuel Up to Play 60 funding program they will be able to create a healthier school environment throughout the school year.
Check out just a few of the great ideas these schools will implement this school year!
Ranchito Avenue Elementary from Los Angeles Unified
- Students will be recognized for getting “Caught Being Healthy” or for participation in healthy school activities, such as Junior Olympics and Marathon Kids. Student giveaways will include recipe books, physical fitness equipment, and pedometers.
- In-class physical Activity Breaks – Students in various classes will be physical fitness leaders and demonstrate physical activity breaks and teach them to the entire school during the Monday morning assemblies.
Fay Elementary from San Diego Unified
- A Breakfast Buddy program will be started to help increase participation and Morning Broadcasts will now feature NEW healthy eating and exercise segments to help spread the word about the importance of eating a balanced breakfast.
- Healthy Choices poster contests highlighting foods and their benefits.
- Hoopapalooza Fitness Night (exercise assembly and fruit kabob snacks) for students and families. Teachers will receive outside training in order to carry out this event from year to year to motivate students and families to have fun being physically active and eating healthy.
Pioneer Middle from Tustin Unified
- The Physical Education teachers will lead the monthly physical testing and student tracking of activity.
- Point of Purchase Play- Students are going to hold a contest to rename healthy breakfast and lunch entrees to highlight nutrient dense choices.
- A Little Paint Can Go a Long Way Play- Students will submit drawings for a healthy mural contest- the mural must show a healthy lifestyle by incorporating healthy foods and exercise, while capturing the school spirit. The winner will have their mural painted on the side of the cafeteria building.